Statement: Arrest of Roman Polanski
Bern, 27.09.2009 -
- Yesterday evening Roman Polanski was arrested at his arrival and was put in provisional detention in view to extradition based on an US arrest warrant.
- The US authorities are accusing Roman Polanski of sexual acts with minors, specifically in a case of 1977 with a 13 year old girl in Los Angeles.
- Since the end of 2005 the US authorities are searching worldwide for Roman Polanski.
- An US arrest warrant against Roman Polanski exists since 1978.
Whether Roman Polanski will be effectively extradited to the USA or not, can be established only, after the extradition process judicially has been finalised. It is possible to appeal at the federal penal court of justice against an arrest warrant in view to extradition as well as against an extradition decision. Their decisions can be taken further to the federal court of justice.
- In respect to this pending process it is not possible to give any further information.
Address for enquiries
Brigitte Hauser-Süess, FDJP Information Service, tel. +41 31 322 40 90
Guido Balmer, FDJP Information Service, +41 31 322 40 40
Federal Department of Justice and Police