Confederation arranges for implementation of OECD minimum tax rate in Switzerland
Bern, 23.06.2022 - In order to implement the OECD/G20 project on taxing the digital economy, the Federal Council is proposing a supplementary tax. Based on the results of the consultation, the Confederation should receive 25% of the receipts from the supplementary tax and use the funds for the benefit of Switzerland as a business location. The remaining 75% will go to the cantons and communes.
The supplementary tax is limited to large corporate groups with worldwide turnover of at least EUR 750 million that are below the minimum taxation of 15%. As a federal tax, it achieves the necessary international acceptance. Implementation by the cantons takes account of tax federalism.
The Confederation is to receive 25% of the receipts from the supplementary tax. These additional funds will be earmarked to cover the additional national fiscal equalization (NFE) expenditure and to promote the attractiveness of Switzerland as a business location. The proposal is thus budget-neutral for the Confederation.
The cantons will receive 75% of the receipts. The cantons actually affected by the minimum tax rate will thus receive the funds to safeguard their appeal as a business location. They can decide for themselves how the funds are to be used, but the communes must be appropriately taken into account.
The Federal Council has decided to proceed in stages in view of the time pressure. A new constitutional standard will empower the Confederation to implement the OECD/G20 project. In a second step, the Federal Council will regulate minimum taxation by means of a temporary ordinance. Afterwards, a federal law will replace the ordinance.
Address for enquiries
Tel. +41 58 462 60 33, email@example.com
The Federal Council
State Secretariat for International Financial Matters
The Federal Tax Administration